Friday, July 23, 2010

7 weeks

Oops I am supposed to be better about this stuff. I blame the combination of baby brain, sleepiness and nausea. Excuse the day-lateness, but yesterday nugget and I hit 7 weeks. Or I guess I should be more accurate and say: what I think is 7 weeks. Next Thursday the doctor will tell us whether or not we have the time frame right, but until then, let's assume 7 weeks. Nugget is the size of a blueberry. Since I am pretty tall, I am imagining the largest blueberry in the carton. You know those real giant juicy ones. That's my nugget. Despite the fact that I obviously love this little blueberry sized creature, can I admit something to you? I am kind of freaked out by what it supposedly looks like in there. First off it has this crazy bulgy head which is all forward rotated. Plus it has a tail. I am excited over the next week nugget starts getting a little more recongnizable as a human because right now he looks like a freaky alien tadpole to me. This week he grows little paddles for arms and legs, he gets slits for eyelids, and his eyes start to get color. When I told Andy this he said 'so could they tell what color his eyes are?'. Pretty sure we're not there yet babe. Plus, am I sleepily mistaken, or aren't most babies born with blue eyes? Why do I feel like I have heard that from a lot of people?

In human-baking news I am still working out the kinks of my sleeping position. I thought, since I am a tummy sleeper, I should start trying to condition myself on my left side now. This is much more difficult than I originally imagined. The night before last I rolled into some strange position, I woke up at around 2am and my whole right side was asleep. I was trying to put myself back on my left side, but my floppy limp right arm was not cooperating at all. I remember deliriously giggling as I used my left hand to move my right arm around. The other down-side of tummy sleeping is it puts added pressure on your bladder. I made sure I went to the bathroom 5 times between 6 and 10pm, but I still woke up this morning on my belly feeling like I would burst if I didn't get up. Since I am in the "no amount is ever enough sleep" phase, I found myself considering peeing the bed this morning. It would be wet and uncomfortable after it cooled off, but I would get a little more sleep. It was pretty tempting. Now that I am awake and more rational I have thought of another solution. I can voluntarily catheterize myself. Just hook myself up to a bag and sleep to my heart's content. Of course the issue with that, is I still seem to roll around a ton every night, so that poses an issue with ripping out the tubes. The only thing I can think of is to take Baby Center's advice of limiting liquids after 6pm or I can start wearing depends. I am already drinking Ensure to try to get some nutrients in my body. Might as well go all out and break out the depends while I am at it. Man I am so sexy it is ridiculous!
Food seems like it will be an issue for a while. We met Andy's parent's for dinner last night and I spent a good portion of the evening trying not to hork on the table in front of them. Smells you once thought were delicious can hit you like a ton of bricks. I opted for the baked potato soup but it came out with bacon and green onions on the top. Most people would say 'yum'. But I accidentally caught a bit of both and thought that would be the end of me being allowed out in public. I tried to scrape out the bits I could get too, but after a few bites, my tummy was done allowing food inside. I feel like a little bird with my eating habbits. I usually start out the day with a trusty orange. Then a couple hours later I get the Ensure down, thank god chocolate isn't revolting to me! An hour or so after that it is string cheese time. Then maybe I can get half of my PB&J down at lunch. An hour later another orange, two hours after that another string cheese. Then I peel and eat my 3rd orange on the walk to the train going home. For dinner I try to get in a salad and some carrots although dressing tastes wrong to me now. Then I will polish the evening off with a soft pretzel. This method of putting something in my stomach every few hours seems to really help with the nausea. I still feel pretty sick most of the day, but it isn't as bad as it was the first few days when I was just eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Katie suggested hard candy in between snacks. That does seem to help some too. But of course I feel guilty for letting my dentist down each time I unwrap a jolly rancher. I guess I will go get some sugar free candies to solve that problem.
Being pregnant is very similar to what I imagine being Sherlock Holmes is like. You spend a great deal of time trying to carefully investigate what you can and can't do to yourself anymore. I can't wait for next Thursday. I just know that little flutter of a heartbeat will make all my doubts go away. Go little blueberry go!


  1. I had a weird ritual of eating a hashbrown and drinking a fountain soda from McDonalds EVERY MORNING for like 6 weeks (neither of which I ever ate normally, or do now, fyi). It was the only thing that helped. Oh, and S&V Pringles and sour gummy worms. It's amazing my kid is as normal as he is.

    I can't wait to hear about your appt. Thursday. OOH! Take your phone, and record the heartbeat on a video, that's what I did - I'll treasure that crappy cell-phone video forever.


  2. LOL, sorry Natalie, but the image of you seriously considering peeing the bed, just to not get up...awesome. Seriously awesome. :)

    Good luck keeping the food down - I can't imagine what it's like to not be hungry and wanting to eat everything in sight at all times!!