Monday, December 21, 2009

How to make a quilt in 3 years...step-by-step instructions on procrastination.

For those of you with husbands, you might have similar qualms, but my S.O. (significant other) is extremely difficult to shop for. Even worse then getting pre-made items is finding things I can make him. He has watched me as I have made dozens of items for the ladies in my life and has mentioned a few times "hey when are you going to make something for me?". But considering he isn't a big fan of sundresses and I refuse to knit him a pair of pants (that's a long story) I am usually at a loss of things I can make him that he would like. Before he went to Iraq I made him a pillowcase for a small down pillow that would easily squish down into his pack. Besides that and sewing on chevrons and name tapes, my homemade gifts have never been for him. A few years ago I made my dad a guitar quilt. I discovered two fabrics: one with acoustic and one with electric guitars, and I designed a pattern and made it for him for christmas. As I was putting it together, Andy asked if I would make one for him next. Finally something I could make for him that he might actually enjoy! Needless to say it took me three years to get to this project and finally it is done....so by finally done I mean it is about 80% done. But that is closer than it has ever been before! Now you might be asking 'Natalie, how do you make a quilt in just three years?'. Well let me share the steps.

Step 1: Buy Fabric

Step 2: Change mind on theme and buy different fabric

Step 3: Use all those fancy dancy Architecture skills to make a quilt pattern in AutoCAD

Step 4: Cut out some of the fabric

Step 5: Get distracted by approx. 4 moves, undergrad, grad school, and two theses. Misplace fabric, pattern and brain (2-1/2 year process).

Step 6: Discover box in garage that has remained packed (despite the fact that we have been in our house for almost two years now), find some of the fabric

Step 7: "organize" (i.e. dig through) sewing stuff to find the rest of the fabric

Step 8: count pieces that are already cut out, purchase some more fabric


Step 9: break out that costly AutoCAD skill to make a new pattern keeping in mind current fabric pieces.


Step 10: Finally sit down and make the long awaited man-quilt for Andy.


Step 11: Finish top of quilt and sew it to the back, but run out of time to finish it. Stuff it into a box and wrap it for Christmas. He can at least see it on Christmas. (This step is optional, but it was part of my process, therefore perhaps helpful to you.)

Step 12: Eventually get back to finishing that darn quilt.

Step 13: Add pictures of completed quilt to the blog, obviously this is my current step.

No comments:

Post a Comment